The UK is facing what is potentially one of the coldest winters in 100 years. Temperatures are barely topping freezing in some parts and a heavy snow fall is predicted for much of the South tonight. Flu, coughs and colds are prevalent at this time.
A good diet rich in fresh fruit and veg goes along way (easier said than done particularly if your children like mine are boycotting anything except carrots and sweetcorn!!) So here are some things I have found useful:
1. Homeopathy. Constitutional treatment with a professional homeopath can help with long term immune strength. Remedies are given through lactose and sucrose tablets which taste sweet so children love to take them. Click here to find a registered homeopath near you.
2. Sambucol. (black elderberry extract with added Vit C) excellent in helping with upper respiratory infections and to shorten the duration of influenza. It has twice the natural antioxidant of blueberry and more than 50% of the overall antioxidant capabilities of cranberry. Their range includes a specially formulated pleasant tasting syrup for children from 1-12yrs.
3. Mulitvitamins, minerals and vitamin C. These can help keep you fighting fit. Biocare and Higher Nature are reputable brands that offer products for adults and children. Their products are made with the highest concern for the environment as well as being highly bioavailable (easy and maximum body absorption). My favourites are:
- Dinochews – irresistible multivitamins and minerals chewables with a dinosaur design.
- Fizzy C and Fizzy multi – first effervescent vitamin c and multi-vitamin in the UK without additives or artificial flavouring. They’re naturally sweetened with fruit sugar. Perfect for younger children who don’t like taking tablets.
- Kids complete complex – blend of vitamins and minerals in a base of natural freeze dried banana. Can be mixed with water, milk or juice or sprinkled on food.
- Optimum nutrition for children– another chewable multi vit and min. Voted best tasting multivitamin and mineral for children by children.
- Vitasorb C and Vitasorb multivitamin – absorbable liquid preparation that again can be mixed with into water, juice, milk or under the tongue.
4. Probiotics. I know, I know I mention these a lot. New research shows that they might be beneficial to more than just your guts. Keeping your intestinal flora balanced is good for the overall health of your immune system. The tiny, yet powerful microbes bolster the immune system helping stimulate the production of more killer cells that attack viral infected cells.
For older children there are capsule products available from both of these brands. Check out Biocare for their Junior nutriguard plus.
Mums and Dads look after yourselves too. After all if you’re ill everything falls apart. Follow the tips above but most of all wrap up warm!